(Yes, Paul and Nicole, this did take place a LONG time ago, but I had promised that I would post pictures of it and didn't get to it at the time. Someone asked me about it again the other day, so I decided to go back and post some pictures. Why not?)
The trip included time on the Columbia River, with stops near (or in) the Dalles, OR; Pendleton, OR; Lewiston, ID; Mt. St. Helens,and Astoria, OR. Busses met us at each of the stops and took us on day trips. We saw a variety of museums and learned a good deal about the history of the area. There was a real emphasis on the Lewis and Clark Expedition, and in addition to the info we garnered in the museums, we also had a naturalist/historian that traveled with us on the boat. He was extremely knowledgable about the area, its history, and the details of the Lewis and Clark party and their experience in the area. We also had a couple of other guest lecturers come on board from time to time to impart their knowledge. It was great.
I really enjoyed the trip to Pendleton, as I had spent nearly two years living there as a youth. We visited a great museum and then went downtown where we were entertained at lunch by a group of local Indian dancers. We also toured a section of downtown Pendleton underground...very interesting, considering that I had lived there and didn't know it existed. It was discovered since the time we lived there. We also visited and toured the Pendleton Woolen Mills....always enjoyable. Here are a few pictures from our day in Pendleton.
2 comments:
Are those Severe brothers saddles?? They make the best. National Geographic did a story on them. Duff was a character. Remember Sister Severe was the one that named us Char-lene and couldn't tell us apart.
Do you remember shopping in the remnants at the Woolen Mills? We had some interesting wool outfits from there. Ahhh, good times.
LOVE YOU - Charlotte
Yup, Char. If you click on the picture and enlarge it, you can see that it was made by Duff Severe. There was also a display of mini saddles made by the Severes.
I don't actually remember the Severes. I do remember being called Charlene,but don't specifically remember Sis. Severe. I only really remember a handful of people from the ward in Pendleton...but then you lived in Pendleton a lot longer than I did.
I do remember one red plaid Pendleton dress that was one of my favorites when I was in 9th grade. In fact, I was sporting it in my 9th grade school picture.
Earlene
Post a Comment