Sunday, June 01, 2008

The end of an era...

Well, today was the end of an era. Scott was released from his calling as bishop of our ward. I think that he (and all of us) have a mixture of feelings as we have approached the day.

There is that feeling of relief as a burden of responsibility is lifted. And we will enjoy having him home more. We have often said that his time of service came at a good time in our lives. We didn't have little children at home and that made his time of service easier for us than it is for some, I'm sure. I wasn't sitting out in the audience struggling with little ones while he sat up on the stand. I wasn't bathing children alone in the evenings at home.

I know that it will be easy in the coming days for him to look back and wonder what he could've done differently. What he could have done better. Who he could have reached that he didn't. I am sure he will also be concerned about those he offended in his 5 years of service. After all, with such a varied ward population, you are liable to offend some, no matter how hard you try not to. But, I hope that he will also focus on those that loved him and those that he helped. There were many, I know. I hope he will feel a sense of gratitude that the Lord trusted him enough to allow him to be an instrument of His love to the members of the Farmington 5th ward for these past 5 years.

I am glad that you were my bishop, sweetie!

The Lord blessed us in so many ways during his time of service. I know that people in the ward continually prayed for the bishop and his family. I can just envision little Primary children asking the Lord to bless their bishop. And I think we felt the blessings from those prayers. During his time as bishop we sent one son on a mission and welcomed two daughters-in-law and 5 grandchildren into our family. And watched little Julia grow up and graduate from high school. And oh how the Lord blessed us through it all!

What adventures await us in the future? I guess we shall see. :)

4 comments:

jed-laura said...

Dad-

I'm increasingly proud of you over the years. I've loved watching you be bishop from far away, seeing the positive effects it has had on you as you've learned to really sacrifice of yourself to love SO many people. I've got a great appreciation for you and all the love you have as a Dad, a Grandpa, and a former Bishop.

We love you, and are proud of you and your service.

Thanks for your constant example.

Love- Jed

Our son Kade said...

Wow, I can't believe its been that long already. Time sure moves quickly. Congratulations on all your service! Love you all.

Brian & Charlotte Carper said...

Congratulations on your years of service and also your release. I have heard from lots of people that the concerns that weigh on you as a bishop or stake president leave you as you are released

and even though at this time, you think you will still have those worries and concerns,you won't.

they will pass to your successor and you will have the peace in your heart that you were the best man for your ward. and go with confidence into your next adventure.

Congrats on a job well done. Love, Charlotte and Brian

Liz said...

Wow, good job, Scott! I'm sure being released is exciting and a relief and sad all at the same time. I'm sure you were a wonderful bishop!