Saturday, June 14, 2008

Our Little Piece of Heaven











Scott and I spent the night at our family cabin up at Vallecito Reservoir, near Durango, last night. That is the first time that we have spent the night there in several years. What a beautiful spot. As many of you may remember, the lake area was hit by horrible wildfires several years ago which destroyed many homes and many of the trees in the area. While the destruction is still visible, new life is returning. It was greener and lusher this year than it has been at any time since the destructive fires. It was a wet year and the lake is full and well...it was breathtakingly beautiful, and peaceful and oh so quiet.

We went to dinner with some dear friends up in Durango (who used to live in Farmington,but have since moved to Durango) and then headed up to the cabin. We got settled in and enjoyed a game of Scrabble. Well, let's just say that I enjoyed it. Scott humored me in playing, I think. But we had a fun time. We slept out on the enclosed sun porch and went to sleep to the glistening lake and the stars and woke up to the bright sun hitting the water. Scott kayaked down to the dam and did a little work around the outside of the cabin and then we took a drive around the lake area. What a nice peaceful diversion from our everyday lives!

The cabin has been in Scott's family since it was built by his grandfather back in the late 30's. It is rustic but loved by each of us. We have many wonderful memories there as individuals and as a family. In fact, Scott and I spent our honeymoon there. It brought me hope to see it so green and beautiful again.

I am sure that these photos will bring back special memories for all who love the cabin like we do. Enjoy!

5 comments:

Joanna said...

I loved seeing these pictures! It made me want to hop in the car and come share the cabin with my boys. I hope we will be able to do that over the years, so they too can feel of the peace that the beautiful mountains, water, and cabin cam bring.

I loved the other little shots you included too - especially the pictures of the 'dancers' and bear rug. Made me chuckle!

Glad you 2 got to enjoy time together there. After the crazy time with dad as bishop, and you teaching seminary and running aroudn the coutry to help your kids/grandkids - you deserved a break! Hope there will be many more for you this summer.

Love, Joanna

jed-laura said...

Wow- These pictures are all very beautiful! I really miss that place. Maybe we will come up there next summer just to relax. Allison asked if we could swim in the water when she saw the reservoir. I told her we could go in the canoe, and she was SO excited that she would get to row a boat.

Thanks for all the pictures!

Love-

Jed

Our son Kade said...

Wow, I've never seen your cabin before - its beautiful! I bet its very relaxing and peaceful. What a neat place to go! Glad you got to have the time to go up there too. :) Love you all. Alicia

The Palmer family said...

I love the pictures. i took some of the cabin the last time we went. Yours are cuter though. I think the last one on your post is the same shot that I took but my picture has snow! We went a couple weeks ago. Crazy that they had snow up there. How fun!
It looks like you guys had a blast in Nashville!

Anonymous said...

Do you want to know my memories? OK!
1. flying bats inside;
2. a dead bat inside;
3. Cold, cold, cold water! (Scott, how could you resist to that?);
4. Cold in the night and brilliant eyes in the dark (outside, of course);
5. living nightmares;
6. an almost broken arm (I felt down while photographing).

... but your cabin is very beautiful and full of memories for everyone of us.
your italian friend
Giovanni