
Happy Birthday, Mom! I wish that we could all be there to throw our arms around you and let you know how much we love you. You have been such an inspiration to all of us through the years, and continue to be. You have served so many people in your 74 years of life. What an example to the rest of us!
You were a wonderful mother to me growing up. Some of my fondest memories of our relationship are from my senior year in high school. You listened and rejoiced with me when I was excited and cried with me when I was down. But, what I remember most were the notes that you left me that year. You got in the habit of leaving notes for me, after I'd gone to bed at night. They usually contained a scripture or poem or thought that had something to do with something we had talked about that day, or something I was struggling with. And they always contained your love. It made getting up early and heading off to seminary just a little easier. Thanks for that special memory.
I'd like to invite each of you who read this to take a minute to leave a comment and share a special memory that you have of Grandma Marilyn. Let's help her feel our love even though we can't be there to show her in person. We love you, Mom (Grandma)! We hope that your 74th year is the best ever!
Love, Earlene, Scott and Julia
12 comments:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!!!
We spoke this past Sunday in church about going to the temple and being an eternal family and I thought a lot about you and how glad I am that we are an eternal family and how much fun we will have in heaven when we don't live 5,000 miles a part. We'll stay up all night making pudding parfaits and laughing and talking.
I remember coming home from Junior High and talking to you on the couch about my day and my angsts. I always had a bunch, I think. Thanks for listening.
I love you lots. Charlotte
Dear Grandma!
Happy Happy birthday. I hope you have a great day. I appreciate the support you always give for all of our ideas and things we want to try. Love you lots! Alicia
Happy Birthday! We love you! Brian
Grandma,
Oh I love you! I always think of you when I want to try something new - because I know you'd support me with anything I'd ever want to try or do. No idea is too crazy or stupid, and you love us no matter what!
And I love that you love Cory too. You're always so sweet when he comes and falls asleep on the couch during our visits. And you believe in him too. I hope I can pass that on to my children and grandchildren someday.
Another silly memory I have is when we went to Red Lobster in Denver with you - about a million years ago. You kept telling the waiter to bring me Shirley Temple drinks and I think I had like 8 of them that night. I felt so spoiled and loved. Something so silly, but it is a fond memory I look back on.
We love you and wish we could be there to give you a hug today!
Love, Joanna (Cory and Gabe)
Hey Grandma Marilyn! thanks for your strong example. Your love for God is contagious and uplifting. You always have a smile for everyone, and it is a beautiful one at that. We miss you so much, It sure would be nice to be closer. I don't have any grandparents on my side, so it has been really important to me to have you; and I appreciate how you took me in and allowed me in to your heart, you have made it so easy to feel welcomed, and now it's been over three years since we first met, and your life a best friend. Thank you for everything,
Happy Birthday,
Love laura
HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRANDMA!
I found my childhood journal the other day, and found the following entry:
(7-7-91) "Grandma marilyn is going on a geneology mission. It is exciting For her. I'm glad she can go on a mission."
What a blessing your moving to Salt Lake has been in our family! We were able to have you in our home while Mom & Dad went on vacations, for Christmas and other special occasions. Here are a couple of other entries in my childhood journal:
(3-21-92) "I cryed when I was baptized and confirmed because I was SO Happy. My grandma marlin came and gave a talk I loved the talk. Yesterday we had pizza hut delivery, we watched a movie and sleped down stairs. My mom was slepping at her mom's apartment."
(2-22-93) "Mom & Dad are leaving for their trip tomorrow...Today when I got home from school I saw Grandma Marliyn & Jed working on poems one of them went like this:
I have a really neat brother named Paul
He jumped on a tramp-o-line tall
He broke his arm
And did much harm
And now he doesn't jump at all."
And you can't forget our trips to come and stay with you. We would get to go to visit the aviary or Hansen planetarium. I specifically remember the Led Zepplin laser light show we went to :)
Now we love to stop by when we are in Salt Lake and visit. We LOVE you so much! Have a HAPPY birthday!
Always - Paul & Nicole
Grandma-
I've always loved spending time with you, and having fun with you. most grandparents don't go to psychadalic rock laser shows with their grandkids. I remember when we did though. I loved when we lived in Utah, and I could take a bus to see you and spend a weekend with you. I liked doing crafts at your house, or going to a movie. I always enjoyed being in your apartment because I knew I was loved. You've been a great example to me over the years of missionary work, and of service. I remember when you would make mittens for those less fortunate. I always look up to your attitude of service and giving.
I love you dearly. I hope that you have a great day today on your birthday-
Love, Jed
Happy Birthday Grandma!
I'm so glad I was able to spend most of my childhood near you, up in Utah. Many of my greatest childhood memories revolve around trips to Salt Lake, and the fun times I had with you. Going to see you was always a treat, because you made every moment special. I loved the bags of pennies you would save up for me, the strawberry milkshakes, the trips to the disney store, and the times we spent doing ceramics or rollerblading around the parking lot. Oh yeah, and remember the time you burned our orange tupperware plate? haha...I still laugh about it every time I go to use that plate.
I sure miss being so close, but I still enjoy the visits we are able to have every couple months!
You truly are an amazing grandma! You mean the world to me! Once again, Happy Birthday! :)
I consider myself so very fortunate to have a mother-in-law such as you are. You raised a wonderful daughter that has been the heart and soul of our home and my best friend. You can see the power of love and motherhood in your children and grandchildren, and now we are starting on the next generation!....I love you and appreciate you and the strong contribution you have made to us all....Scott
Dear Mother--
You have given me so much. Especially the understanding that creativity was worth doing whatever it took to make room for--even if it meant getting up in the middle of the night to paint. You taught me to love beauty, to love nature, to give value to being alone.
And I so admire your strength and courage and commitment to growth and learning. Many people would have buckled under your load, but you just keep on welcoming the new day, looking for new learnings, new growth, new freedom.
And I am so grateful for the way you have opened your heart to Susan.
All our love to you, and a happy birthday! Sandra
Dear Dear Dear Grandma.
I always remember you with love. Staying with you in Denver 26 years ago was wonderful.
Love from Italy.
Giovanni Castiglione
P.S. Take care of yourself. You are so beautiful!
Thanks so much for all of your birthday greetings. They really made my day.
Mother .Gramdma Marilyn and Marilyn
Post a Comment