Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Happiest Place on Earth...?


Spring break is just around the corner. Next Thursday,March 20, is the last day of school for the week. The kids have off Friday for Good Friday and the next week is Spring Break! Julia is super excited to have a week + off, and I have to say that I am, too. Getting up at 5:00 AM every morning, (to head out the door at 6:15 AM for early morning seminary) is not always my idea of fun. So, an occasional break in the routine is welcome.

Last spring we headed off to San Francisco and enjoyed the city, the beach, and time with Sandra and Susan. The airlines had overbooked our flight, and on the way home we volunteered to be bumped from our flight in Phoenix. For doing so, we were compensated with three round trip tickets, which we are going to redeem next weekend for a trip to the location of Julia's choice (since this will possibly be her last family vacation)....

DISNEYLAND! Yup, we are off to Anaheim. We will be spending 5 days in So. California. Which got me to thinking about past trips to Disneyland.

There was the time:
1) We surprised Paul on his 5th birthday by driving all night from Orem, arriving at the gate just prior to opening. Dad asked Paul where he would go for his birthday if he could go anywhere in the world. Paul said, without hesitation, "Disneyland". (He was the only one in the family that had not been there yet.) Scott then pointed to the big arching sign over the entrance to the park and said, "Can you read what that says?" Paul looked up and started sounding it out. "D-is-nee...(and his eyes got huge at this point) DISNEYLAND!"

2) Then there was the trip where Paul got separated from the rest of the family just as the huge crowds gathered for the Electrical Light Parade. We searched everywhere for him, to no avail. I was frantic and the lady sitting behind our parade spot told me to sit down and enjoy the parade and we could find him afterwards. Right! Unfortunately, it wasn't until the parade was over and the crowds dissipated that we finally did find him. Aughhhh! Not one of my favorite mother moments.

3) Then there was the time when our Disneyland adventure left us with a few hours before we had to be at the airport to fly back home. We decided to head down to LA to check out a few things there. We went to the art museum and the LaBrea Tarpits. We returned to the rented mini-van with just enough time left to hurry off to the airport. We started off down the road and Paul shouted from the back of the van that he couldn't find his suitcase. We assured him that it was there someplace...probably just under someone else's bag. A few blocks later Joanna reported that her backpack wasn't where she had left it. Well, to make a long story short, our rental van had been broken into and they had stolen Paul's suitcase and Joanna's school backpack. We were broken hearted. We returned to the area we had parked in and scoured the bushes, garbage cans, etc. but didn't find our stuff. At that point we had no time to speak with the police, unless we were willing to miss our flight. Luckily, the bag containing our tickets was not among the stolen items. So, we made a mad dash to the airport and made it to our flight just before take-off. Fun stuff!

4) Then there was the time when Paul and I surprised Julia with a trip to Disneyland/California Adventures. We attended the N'Sync concert in Las Vegas and then instead of heading home, we headed off to California. Paul knew where we were going and had kindly come along to help me drive. We made up a story for Julia (OK--we lied!)and told her we were going to California to visit a long lost relative. We had lots of fun, but Julia has never forgiven me for not visiting the relative that she was at that time excited to meet.

5) Oh, and there have been lots of other trips to Disneyland, and one to Disneyworld in Florida. Each with its unique memories. I have to say that Disneyland is not Scott's favorite vacation spot. In fact, he has a certain look that we have named, "The Disneyland Look". He furrows his brow in a certain, telling way and we know that he is not particularly having fun. But, he says he is not going to do that this time. We'll see. He does have plans to go to the Getty Art Museum and the Newport Temple while we are down there. Maybe the diversions will be just what he needs.

6)Plus, Joanna and Cory and the boys are meeting us down there. They have been wanting to take Gabe for a while now. And it isn't too bad of a drive for them...about 6 hours, I think. We are getting a 5 days for the price of 3 Park-hopper pass. So, we can come and go from the park so that everyone (particularly the boys) can rest when needed. Should be fun...after all, don't they call it "The Happiest Place on Earth"???

6 comments:

Liz said...

How fun!!! I wanna come! :)

Brian & Charlotte Carper said...

I want to come too. After all our years of Olympic service to our country, you would think that just once they would have sent me to Disneyland.

I can picture Scott's Disneyland scowl - Brian has that scowl whenever we get within 50 miles of ANY kind of city. I can't even imagine what it would look like if we were in Southern Cal- it would probably furrow so deep, it would never come out. hehehe

Have a wonderful time and enjoy your time with Julia - and don't worry that this is Julia's last family vacation. The baby of the family takes longer to leave than the others. :)

Love, Char

Our son Kade said...

I had such a good time when I went to Disneyland, I went when I was a college sophomore, and I'd never been before then, and it was really fun! I'm glad I went as an "adult" we had a good time. I'd love to go back some time. Hope you have lots of fun. :) Love you all. Alicia

Rachel Clare said...

I'm taking Elias on Tuesday. Will you be there that day?

The Rhiens said...

Yes, Rachel...we will be there on Tuesday (of next week, right). It would be SO fun to get together and have the boys spend some time together. And I know that Joanna will LOVE to see you. Let's plan on it. Call me this week and we can talk about it.

Love, Earlene

jed-laura said...

Mom-

When are you out of town? Let me know your schedule... I'm trying to get everything ready so if the baby came early we'd be ready.

I know it won't come early if we're ready for it, and I can't afford for it to come early because of work deadlines, so I'm trying to get caught up before the birth...

We're already 36 weeks now- so worry about having a premie is pretty-much over. Now I can go on to worrying about something else. :)

Have fun at Disneyland.

-Jed