For as long as I can remember Julia has loved music. When she was a tiny girl she would listen to the radio in her room and when she heard a song that she liked she would quickly push the buttons on her little portable cassette player and record what was left of the song. Once her tape was full and her mix complete she'd either scrounge around for another blank tape, or she'd start taping over the songs she had recorded earlier.
So it was no surprise when she had to choose a senior project to complete this school year she chose to do a job shadowing project at the local radio stations. She has had a lot of fun learning the ins and outs of the radio business, even if she did have to be there at 5:00 AM some mornings. The dad of one of her friends is a local radio personality, and he has been tutoring her and showing her how the business works.
And then, to top it off, she was hired to work as a board operator. So, when the radio personalities are out and about doing remotes from local businesses, she is back at the station pushing buttons and making sure that everything works smoothly. She works an occasional afternoon, but most often works on Friday or Saturday afternoons. She picked up several shifts to work during the break. In fact, she worked three separate 2 hour shifts today. The pay is great for a high-schooler and she can read or work on homework, too. And for the most part she works infrequently enough that it doesn't interfere with school, etc.
Kinda fun to learn about the business and get paid to do so, huh?
3 comments:
I think your radio job sounds like an awesome job for a high school student! I think it beats subway, wendy's and maceys. Hope you learn lots from them, it could be really good looking on your resume as a high school student with radio experience.
Way to go!
it does sound really fun. I remember when I was a girl scout, we visited a radio station and I was surprised by how much paperwork has to be done behind the scenes - I'm sure it is on computers now, in the old days, they kept their music on vinyl records and their bookkeeping on papyrus rolls. hehehehe (okay, I'm joking about the papyrus).
I'm glad you get to try out your chosen field. It really helps. I know Alicia was so sure she wanted to own a restaurant and then she HATED working in them, so that was a good way to find that out. It saved her a lot of money and years wasted at culinary school
LOVE you, Charlotte
Hey I have a new age cd out that I thought would be good for you to check out, enjoy -
http://toddcardon.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment