Tuesday, August 21, 2007

In answer to Charlotte's question...

The answer to Char's question is...yes, I am once again teaching early morning seminary. I taught Old Testament in seminary 8 years ago. And while I was in Cedar City I received a call asking me to accept an assignment to teach again this year. I struggled with the decision. Not because I didn't want to serve, but because this time around I know more clearly what was being asked of me. I know the hours I took each day. I would get up EARLY, and head out the door to teach for an hour. And then I would come back home and study for a few hours, planning the lesson for the next day. I am no great scriptorian. I would study the scriptures that were to be taught the next day. Then I would read the teacher's manual and the student manual and THEN decide what I wanted to teach, and how I wanted to teach it. And that last part had to vary from day to day to hold the attention and enthusiasm of my class.

Do I have that in me again? I hope so. It wasn't a commitment that I wanted to enter into lightly. I am hopeful that my prep time will be shorter this time around, since I have taught it before...but 8 years is a long time. So, we'll see. Another hesitation that I had is that I will be Julia's teacher, and I didn't know if that was fair to her. But, she didn't seem to have a problem with it, so I decided I would give it a shot. It is also a little different this time around because with Scott serving as bishop, we already have limited time together. But, with all these things (and more) considered, I decided to accept the assignment. By the time I got home I only had a few days to prepare. And class started yesterday bright and early (6:50 AM). So far so good. But for now we are mostly just getting to know each other. I have a class of 24 students--all sophomores, juniors and seniors. Wish me luck! And keep me in your prayers!

3 comments:

Brian & Charlotte Carper said...

Congratulations! that's exciting. I'm sure you'll be great at it again, with your enthusiasm for the gospel, and you're so fun. I'm sure it will be great! We love you. :) Alicia & Justin

Joanna said...

I know you'll do an awesome job mom. The kids will love having you as a teacher - even if they don't show it (remember, they're teenagers). Good luck with the preparation and the stress accompanying that - I know you can do it.

We love you too!

jed-laura said...

I always loved it when you were my substitute seminary teacher. All the other kids really liked you, and they would say, is that Jed's mom? and they would all tell me how much they loved you as a teacher.

I'm sure it will be a busy year ahead of you, but remember that the kids love you and that they are learning to love the gospel because of what the spirit will teach them in your class.

You are a great teacher.

-Jed