Monday, August 20, 2007

If I could save time in a bottle....

"If I could save time in a bottle,
The first thing that I'd want to do,
Is to save every day till eternity passes away,
Just to spend them with you..."
(from a song that was popular back in the 1970's, when I was in high school)

The passage of time has been on my mind a lot these past few weeks. The night before I left Cedar City, to come home, (after helping with Hunter) I was holding Hunter and snuggling with him while Joanna was finishing up some chores and getting ready for bed. I was particularly cherishing the moment, knowing that I would be leaving in the morning. I closed my eyes and held him close (trying to memorize his smell, his little sounds, and his feel in my arms--something I do with each of the grandbabies before I leave them)and as I did so it was almost as if I traveled through time...almost as if it were his mother, Joanna, in my arms. The 28 years of her life sort of melted away and tears fell down my cheeks as I wondered for a moment where all those years had gone. When she came back in the room to take him from my arms, I admonished her to cherish these little ones, because they grow up so quickly and before she knew it she would be the one to be helping with Hunter's children. How did it all slip by so quickly?


Fast forward to yesterday...when Scott and I celebrated our 29th wedding anniversary. 29 years! There's just no way it has been 29 years since we joined hands across the altar and were married. No possible way! We're just not that old. It seems like yesterday. He still makes my heart skip a beat and I cherish all that we have shared over these past 29 years. Who knew then how much we would love each other now? The older we get, the faster time seems to fly by. I sometimes wish we could slow things down and really savor these next 29 years.


And then this morning our "baby" headed off to her last first day of school. Yup, she started her senior year. Crazy thing is, I remember my senior year as if it were last week. How can our youngest be that old? Where did time go? I took a few minutes this morning to think back on it all, to remember, to savor and to enjoy all the memories of the past. We have been SO richly blessed. In fact, we ARE so richly blessed! I wish sometimes that I could scoop it all up and put it in a bottle. But, instead I will tuck it all away in my heart. And that is a good place to keep all the memories because that's where all those feelings and experiences are best perused...the heart. Mine is full as I ponder the passage of these wonderful years. Have a great year, Julia!

7 comments:

Brian & Charlotte Carper said...

Wow - sniff, sniff - you really know how to get a girl's tears going!! I clicked on your blog, not expecting anything new, because I check it every night before bed, but here is this beautiful essay and it really touched me. Where has it all gone???

I think I cried every day of Alicia's senior year.... "it's the last 2nd day of school, it's the last 10th day of school, etc.." until the last day of school and we were riding into work and I started to say this was the last day we would ride in together to school and work and instead, she was so excited "TODAY is the First Day of the rest of my life!!!"

It was just kind of funny that each of us had such a different perspective... I'm glad you are able to have so many perspectives. Pretty remarkable for someone who is just a KID!
I LOVE YOU LOTS - Char

Anonymous said...

Earlene, What a sweet post. What a refreshing interlude in the work day. And you look GREAT, too!

Happy anniversary. I have faith you will continue, with your big caring heart, to find joy in every day. All my love, Sandra

Anonymous said...

Earlene: If you wonder where all the time went now wait until those are Great grandchildren you are snuggling, and I would not have wanted to miss one minute of any of it. We love you much. Daddy and Carole

Joanna said...

And you got me crying....so sweet. It's amazing how quickly time flies by - and I don't even know the 1/2 of it! As we had FHE tonight we were talking about going on missions, and being missionaries. I said, "And Gabe - you'll go on a mission when you're 19 - in 17 years." Cory laughed at me like it was silly that I was psyching Gabe up for his mission now - 17 years sounded like a lifetime away. But it's not - it will be here before I know it (and I'll be a WRECK!).

Give Julia a big hug from us - I can't believe she's a Senior in high school. What a fun year it can be. I hope it's awesome for her. At least we know she's got an awesome seminary teacher to learn from this year :)

Love you all!

Paul and Nicole Rhien said...

thanks mom for sharing that with us. I agree... how in the world am I old enough to be a dad?

great pics...especially of Julia Gulia.

love you - P.

Brian & Charlotte Carper said...

WAIT - did I miss something? Earlene, are you teaching seminary this year?

jed-laura said...

this is a sweet post. I'm glad that we have such loving parents and that Alli has such a loving extended family as well. I look forward to this section of my life where I can be a dad with my kid at home. I'm sure I'll like grandkids too when that comes, but for now, I'm happy soaking in being a dad.

Julia- you look great. I hope this year in school is a great one. My senior year was a lot less stressful class-wise than my junior year was. I hope it's the same for you.

-Jed