So, here are my ramblings for the week. Nothing too exciting, but then sometimes it is good that life is slow enough to just relax and go with the flow for a while.
**1 Scott and I both received new callings in the past few weeks. He is teaching the 11-12 yr. olds in Primary and I have been called to be the Education Counselor in the R.S. Change can be a good thing, as it causes us to reach and grow in new or different ways.
**2 Paul, Nicole and Taylor were here with us last weekend. We celebrated the 4th of July with a parade, fireworks, a (veggie burger)BBQ, and homemade ice-cream and cookies with the extended fam out at Mama and Papa's. We even shot off a few fireworks of our own with Julia and a friend one night...something we don't normally do.
** We also helped celebrate Taylor Ann's first birthday. What a cutie! They made the cutest caterpillar cake with giant muffin tin cupcakes.
**3 We got our carpets cleaned. That may not be exciting to anyone else, but they SO desperately needed to be cleaned.
**4 We ordered our new kitchen cabinets. Yes, we are going to be re-modeling our kitchen soon. Scary, but exciting all at the same time! I am not sure when that will be taking place.
**5 Julia is flying to Dallas this week to visit Jed, Laura, Allison and Lucy. She hasn't had the pleasure of meeting little Lucy yet. So, that will be fun. She and Laura are going to a Martina McBride concert one night for a belated birthday celebration for Laura.
**6 Last night Scott and I had a fun date. We tried out a new pizza/Italian food restaurant in town and then stopped by an old car show downtown...with lots of old cars, people, music and fun. Then we headed back home and watched a documentary on the Mayan culture on Netflix (kinda random, but fun end to the date).
**7 At my sister-in-law and mother-in-law's recommendation, I recently picked up a good book at the library. Oh, I love to read! Anyway, it is called, The Last Lecture. It was written by a Carnegie Mellon professor, Randy Pausch. He was asked to participate in a last lecture series...ironically, just weeks after being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He is a father of three young children and used the lecture as an opportunity to share with them what he had learned from life. I have been reading it outloud to Scott and we have enjoyed the life insights he has shared. It has opened up some good discussions. Recommended reading!
**8 There is a chance I may be going to Dallas for a couple of days this week. A friend of ours buys and sells cars and has one he needs to be picked up in Dallas. He would pay for my flight there and then I would drive the car back. We are just waiting to see if that is going to happen. If I went I would try to get on the same flight that Julia is going to be on. That way we would just have to make one trip to Albuquerque.
**9 And yes, Charlotte, I am currently enrolled in a course at BYU. I have not made much progress on it so far, what with teaching seminary, babies being born, visits to family, vacations, etc. But, I did work on it quite a bit this week. I need to REALLY hit it these next few weeks. It is a class on Family Processes and I have to do literally hundreds of pages of writing. It looks pretty deeply into your family of origin. Interesting. Just SO time consuming.
Hope you all have a great week! (By the way, I am frustrated with the size of my font, but can't figure out how to change it. Any advice? I have changed it before, but can't seem to figure out how now. Hmmmm...?)
6 comments:
What with all the babies being born and Julia graduating and such, I haven't heard anything about your schooling. How close are you to finishing and are you taking anything now? Also, is the Last Lecture really sad? I saw something about it, but I don't do well with sad sad books. (or songs, you might remember - those darn sad songs can ruin an entire vacation if you let them). Love you - Char
Remember that 4th of July in Salt Lake when Julia was a baby and we got all those fancy fireworks to set off at the bank parking lot and that one with all the tiny paratroopers fell on it's side and started shooting sparks and paratroopers right at you and Julia? That's probably why you don't do them often....
No, Charlotte, the book is not sad. In fact, it is REALLY upbeat and positive. You can also view his last lecture on You-Tube, although I have not done so yet. I want to watch it when we are done with the book. You can learn more about the book by going to www.thelastlecture.com. And he also has a personal web=site. He was told in 2007 that he probably had just 3-6 months to live, and he is still alive now. He quit his job last year to spend the rest of his life with his wife and kids.
An inspirational, moving, but not sad story.
Earlene
You can change the font size when you are signed in, you go to layout, and fonts and colors is it I think. Then you can go through the list of options and change sizes, colors, etc.
I'm glad you posted too. Its encouraged my to post. I always think the same thing- why don't people post more often, then realize its been forever since I posted -oops! :D Love you! good luck with the new callings, and the class.
We got the book on CD to listen to on our summer vacation. We'll let you know what we think
mom, was that blog that hadn't changed happen to be ours??? THanks for the update
Love ya
Laura
Post a Comment