
I have always loved the 4th of July! The fireworks, the parades, the patriotic music (Yes, I admit, I still tear up to I'm Proud to Be an American!), the yummy foods, home-made ice cream, picnics, barbecues,etc. The only thing that I don't like about it is that it seems like it is a turning point for summer. Memorial Day kicks it off and then the 4th comes along sort of leisurely and then BAM, it seems like it is already Labor Day...and then it just zips by from there to Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas. The 4th of July just seems to shout out "FAMILY", even though we aren't always near ours for the holiday. There is just something about things red, white and blue that makes me feel happy.
I have to admit that I miss 4th's in Utah. Provo, UT, really knows how to celebrate the 4th with concerts, devotionals, parties in the park, a huge balloon festival, a great parade, and the ever amazing and fun Stadium of Fire. Some of our old neighbors in Orem used to have a band, and they would get together every year on the 4th and play for hours. Fun memories.
What are your favorite 4th of July memories? Leave a comment and share a memory.
6 comments:
One of my favorite memories on the 4th of July is the one the day before I was married to Laura. It actually wasn't the best 4th as far as celebrations go, because everyone else went to the stadium of fire while I stayed back to try and sleep so I could be up on time for my morning wedding the next day- but it was an exciting day nonetheless. We went to a parade and breakfast in the morning, and spent a little time with all our family from both sides.
Hard to believe that was 5 years ago!
Fireworks here in Texas are pretty huge! We went to a 20-30 minute firework presentation last year that seemed like it was a finale the whole time!
-Jed
I have many...
- there was the year that I sold pape's for the Daily Herald. I sold so many! and then they let me on the front of their float.
- I went to Stadium of Fire with Bryan Hinckley's family and they were painting people's hair to take an arial photo of an American flag. It was wierd washing off my hair in our old bathroom in our old house.
- on my mission, I met my mission president on the fourth in his first round of zone conferences. then we went to a member that tried to make us feel like home for an American BBQ.
- last yr. Nicole and I were anxiously awaiting Taylor's arrival and didn't wander too far from home... It was nice to be in Victor for the parade though.
- and this year! getting to take some time off to be with family and celebrating Taylor's first birthday in a LONG weekend. Thanks for having us.
HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY TO ALL! I hope we all appreciate the freedoms we enjoy at the sacrifices of many others. Let Freedom Ring!
- Paul
I remembeer a cool one in Sidney Mont . Where Ted went out and set off fore works with sll the kids in the neighborhood. It was a small town but so fun. They even put firecrackers under tincans. WoW"" Good old days. Homeade chocolate ice cream in Vale Oregon as I child. The best thing I ever tasted. Love grandma Marilyn
We've had some fun fourths, any that involved fireworks were really fun. One year we went down to Homer and walked on the beach and caught lantern fish (little oily finger length fish) and tossed them for seagulls to catch. One year we blew up a G.I. Joe doll with a mortar firework, that was pretty cool. :D The fourth is just a fun holiday to celebrate, especially as a kid I think, but its a good one for adults too.
I love the fourth of July, too! I think it is one of my very favorite holidays. This year we braved the crowds and went to "A Capitol Fourth" in Washington DC. I love being an American! And I agree- Provo really does know how to do the fourth! I loved celebrating Independence Day there. But ya know, my fondest memories are of laying in the back of the truck in the stake center parking lot with my family listening to patriotic music on the radio. We were so close to the fireworks there! I've never been anywhere else where it just felt like I could reach out and touch them so much!
Ok Mom, I thought long and hard for you. I thought of fun fireworks, parades, the weird outfits I voluntarily wore on the 4th, crystal light, sun burns, etc, etc. Still, I can't help but be a bit sentimental.
When I think of the fourth of July, I think of the reverence for the flag that my mother taught. I think of that famous picture of George Washington kneeling in the snow in prayer.
I think of Joseph Smith Jr., who was (despite horrible persecution) able to build the Lord's church. I think of the American dream. I think of the security I am able to generally feel, living in America.
I think of all the sacrifices our forefathers made so that I can live my comfy life. I think of a quote by Abigail Adams, "Posterity will scarcely be able to conceive the sacrifices made by their ancestors"
Most of all I think about the responsibility we have to stay righteous, be grateful, and keep this nation strong.
Post a Comment