Monday, September 28, 2009

As Sisters in Zion

I love gathering with the women of the church throughout the world on the last Saturday in September each year as we meet together for the General Relief Society broadcast. There are currently over 6 million women, from over 170 countries and territories of the world who are a part of the Relief Society.

I love the whole evening, but my favorite part is almost always the singing. I love when we join the sisters singing in the conference center, knowing that there are women singing in congregations throughout the world. All united in purpose. All doing their best to live lives of compassion and giving. I always think of my mom, my daughters,my daughters-in-law, my sisters, my mother-in-law, my sisters-in-law, my nieces, my friends, etc...all such good and giving women. And I cry. Tears of joy. I have lived in a lot of places in my life and rubbed shoulders with a lot of wonderful women both inside and outside of the church. Women of courage, strength and kindness. Women who help me know and understand God's love better, because I see it emulated in their faces....women I can truly call "Sister" and mean it.

The messages vary from year to year, but I always leave feeling lifted and inspired...and challenged to do better and be better. I leave feeling grateful for the knowledge that I am a daughter of a Heavenly Father who loves me. What a blessing that knowledge is to me!

This year, I had the opportunity of working, as a member of the Farmington Stake R.S. Presidency, to help prepare the evening for the sisters of our stake. We served a light refreshment and had a series of displays on the elements of self-reliance. We were grateful for the help of those who contributed to the evening by helping to prepare the displays. The sisters had the opportunity to visit with one another and to listen to the beautiful harp music provided by one of the young sisters of our stake. Here are a few pictures taken just before our evening began.














2 comments:

jed-laura said...

Looks like you had a good night!

Very cool.

Brian & Charlotte Carper said...

Did I ever tell you that I always cry in the first song because I also am keenly aware that my sister and mother are also sitting somewhere singing with me. I cry every year and every year, I feel you with me. It is something I always look forward to.